Saturday, August 8, 2009

No Such Thing as a Free Lunch

Yesterday was the last day at my temporary position - thank goodness! I can't believe I survived 8 days there. I tried to keep a positive attitude - I kept telling myself that I should be thankful that I had a temp. position, and that many people would be ever-so-grateful for a chance to make money. And although I was very appreciative of the position, I must admit that I am SO happy it's over. First off, it was a construction/contracting company. I am in no way degrading this job sector - but the men at this office were very rude/crude. Honestly, I heard a nasty word about every 5 minutes - just not my idea of a professional atmosphere. Also, my boss was a piece of work, and I'm sure I could describe him for you, although I don't think the words would necessarily be appropriate for this fun blog! :)

So for my last day yesterday, my boss took me and another worker out for lunch. I REALLY didn't want to go, and I tried to come up with random excuses, but he wasn't taking "no" for an answer. So alas, I went along. And it was the MOST AWKWARD situation I have ever been in. In fact, there were times during the lunch that I just wanted to start laughing at the situation I was in - mainly because about 15 minutes went by with NOTHING being said. Yes, complete silence. I thought it was pretty funny! Anyway, they did pay for my lunch (yay), but I'm going to apply this "free lunch" to something I learned in economics classes (Mom & Dad - I'm probably making you proud - I did learn something in college!). So here's my theory: in economics, they say "there is no such thing as a free lunch." Mainly because you have to give something up (a cost) in order to receive a benefit. I gave up my relaxing lunch break eating a pb&j sandwich while surfing the web in order to attend the WORST lunch date I've ever experienced. So really, the lunch wasn't "free." :)

As for a good lunch situation, Evan and I are meeting a couple for lunch at the Blue Agave (Mexican restaurant) in the Federal Hill district today. Sarah was a Chi Omega and we met her and her husband when they hosted the Chi Omega Alum BBQ here in Baltimore a few weeks ago. We're excited to get to know them better!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh - I'm sorry to hear about the temp job...darn, can we have you back?? I know three kiddos who would love to hang out with you all day, but do have to say you'd have to deal with some crude things here... (potty training!) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete