Saturday, August 15, 2009

Employment?...Ok!

Yesterday was the best day of my life...ok, right after the day Evan proposed, and of course, our wedding day, and finding out Ashley was pregnant...but still, it was great! This whole "job search" process has been long and daunting. We've been here for two months now (exactly!), and each day was spent updating my resume, researching businesses, writing cover letters and hearing NOTHING. The past couple of weeks picked up a little bit, though. I had that temporary position and actually had interviews with two different magazines that are published in Baltimore.

Corridor, Inc., is a business and political magazine that covers issues in Baltimore and Washington D.C. I had two interviews with them for an advertising sales/event planning position. They are a very small company, so I saw a lot of room for growth. I got the call from their editor yesterday, and she offered me the position, BUT I TURNED IT DOWN!

I am now a proud employee of Urbanite, a magazine for "Baltimore's curious." It is the most interesting magazine I have ever seen. It targets the trendy, hip, environmentally-conscious people who have a disposable income in Baltimore. The general manager, who I did most of my interviewing with, was very outgoing and very kind to me during this entire process. I had an initial interview that lasted almost 2 hours! She then invited Evan and I to their August "roll-out" party - the "roll-out" parties are held once a month, and it celebrates the publication of the new issue...fun venue, food and drinks = fun! I then tagged along on a sales pitch with a Senior Account Executive and then went out for dinner with the general manager. Basically, they really made an effort to show that they were interested in me. They offered me an advertising sales position yesterday, and I accepted!

Check out the website: Urbanite Magazine

Evan and I are really excited about this opportunity. What I'm super happy about is that this job relates to my degree - I'll actually use the stuff I learned during college! Plus, I'm not just holding a random job to get by - this is the start of an actual career. I've learned to trust God a lot during this entire process and am excited about what He has in store me. We are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment